Monday, March 8, 2010

Web 2.0 Award Winners

Now I am looking through winners of the Web 2.0 Award. The tool that I selected is called "upcoming.org" (http://upcoming.yahoo.com). It is a tool to keep track of your events and find new events to attend in your area and around the country. It allows you to join groups and find out what people who share your interests are attending.

1) Things I liked about it:
Upcoming.org exposes me to alot of events from other cultures that I might not know about.

2) Things I didn't like about it:
It doesn't seem to have alot of content for those interested in R&B music. For example, there is a major R&B festival coming up in Vinoy Park on May 1 (Funk Fest 2010 - http://funkfesttampabay.com/main.html) and it wasn't even listed.

3) What are some useful features?
One useful feature of upcoming.org is that it immediately took me to events in the Tampa Bay area (I suppose it recognized my computer's IP address?)

4) Are there any uses in libraries?
I don't work in a library so I'm probably not the expert, however, I can see community members wanting to work with Libraries and upcoming.org to promote their events, reserve space in libraries, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment